Travel Charge Card
The Program Support Center (PSC) manages the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) travel charge card program. The HHS travel card provides employees with access to government negotiated fares while allowing agencies greater visibility into their travel spending patterns.
The HHS Travel Card program provides travel charge cards to HHS employees through the GSA SmartPay 2 contract. Including HHS, there are currently more than 2.4 million cardholders participating in the program, spending $7.6 billion through 40 million transactions annually.
HHS Travel Charge Cards are issued to employees traveling on official government business so they may purchase airline and rail tickets, taxis, lodging, meals, and other incidentals.
The Travel Charge Card provides a convenient means for employees to access low-cost government-negotiated fares and services, and to expense official government and other travel-related costs, while allowing greater managerial visibility into actual card usage.
Types of Accounts Available Under the GSA SmartPay Contract
Individually Billed Accounts (IBA) are issued to employees to pay for official travel and travel-related expenses. The government reimburses employees for authorized expenses. The employee is responsible for making monthly payments to the bank.
Centrally Billed Accounts (CBA) are established by some agencies to pay for official travel expenses on behalf of employees exempt from an IBA. CBAs are paid directly by the government to the bank.
Benefits of the HHS Travel Charge Card
- Worldwide acceptance
- Chip-and-PIN security
- Access to discount government-negotiated rates, including City Pair reduced airfares and FedRooms rates
- Rebates earned by agencies for use volume and speedy payment
- No interest charges
- FICO score improvement and sustainment for cardholders
- Built-in travel insurance and emergency assistance
- Eliminating the need for travelers to use their personal charge card
- Travelers no longer need to carry large sums of cash
- Ability to monitor transactions and pay bills online
- Improved control and oversight in travel spending
- Agency/Organization Program Coordinator (A/OPC) management and annual recertification
Travel Card services offered by PSC
- Card program administration support
- System access
- Troubleshooting card transactions, billing, controls and access
- Basic reporting and oversight
- National policy setting, consultation, and interpretation
- Basic cardholder training
- Compliance monitoring
- Task order maintenance
Additional support services
- Supporting the development of your agency’s supplemental travel card policy
- Developing and delivering training courses for administrators and cardholders
- Assisting with change communication prior to program kickoff or vendor transition
- Business intelligence and custom reporting
- Risk analysis
- Forensic research/auditing of individual accounts due to card suspension or cancellation
Charge Card Job AidsCard Activation [PDF]
Online Application [PDF]
Cardholder Profile Registration [PDF]
Making Payments [PDF]