PSC maintains historical abstracts on cases considered by the board. The purpose of the abstracts is to provide a record of Board precedents and examples that can assist potential applicants in preparing applications. The abstracts do not include any identifying facts or information that could be associated with any specific applicant or case considered by the Board.
Anyone wishing to obtain copy of any of the Board decisions should email BFC@psc.hhs.gov with the specific case number(s).
Requests for complete case files should be directed to the PHS FOIA Office at (202) 690-7453 or visit https://www.hhs.gov/foia and to the Records Management Office, Bethesda Place, Suite 920, 7700 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20857 (note: use zip code 20814 if using either UPS or FedEx); telephone 301-492-4800.
Requesters who ask for a decision usually want to receive only material that will help in understanding the process that led to the decision or to improve their own application to the Board. Before releasing information, we will redact information that would be an invasion of privacy if released. The following is a list of the types of information we routinely redact from completed Board for Correction cases:
- Name of officer who files the application
- PHS Service Number
- Social security numbers
- PHS Service Number
- Office address, telephone number, fax, and email
- Personal address, telephone number, fax, and email address
- Personal information of any family member or relative found in the file
In addition, we do not release US Court of Claims decisions for officers who request court decision on Board decisions because the release would identify the officer.
Cases are sorted into the following categories:
- 109.00 - Appointment as Commissioned Officer
- 111.00 - Awards
- 124.00 - Commissioned Officer Effectiveness Report (COER)-Includes Performance Evaluation
- 127.00 - Conduct
- 141.00 - Disability Retirement
- 165.00 - Inactive Reserve Corps.
- 167.00 - Indebtedness-Collection Upon Separation
- 175.00 - Leave (Includes Annual, Home, Sick and Station Leave)
- 192.00 - Pay and Allowances (Includes Allotments of Pay, Allowances and Basic Pay)
- 199.00 - Promotion Program
- 211.00 - Retention Special Pay
- 212.00 - Retirement (Includes Involuntary Retirement)
- 216.00 - Separation from Commissioned Corps (Includes Involuntary Separation)
- 231.00 - Training (Includes Career Development)
- 234.00 - Travel, Transportation, and Shipment of Household Goods
To determine which case numbers coorelate with each category and sub-category:Download the Full Case Index Guide